Acting President Prof. Yemi Osinbajo approves delegation to visit Ozubulu
By Ismaila Chafe
Acting President Yemi Osinbajo has approved a five-man delegation to visit and condole with government and people of Anambra over the Aug, 6 horrific attack on worshippers in the state.
Mr Laolu Akande, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity (Office of the Vice-President), confirmed this development in a statement issued in Abuja on Saturday.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that no fewer than 13 worshippers were killed and 20 others injured when a gunman invaded the St. Philips Catholic Church in Ofufe-Amakwa, Ozubulu, Ekwusigo Local Government Area of the state.
According to the presidential aide, the delegation is made up of the Ministers of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige; Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole; Foreign Affairs,Mr Geoffrey Onyeama; Minister of State for Environment, Mallam Usman Jibril; and the Minister of State for Education, Prof. Anthony Anwuka.
Akande stated that during the visit, the delegation would present a condolence letter from the acting President on behalf of the government and people of Nigeria to Gov. Willie Obiano.
He said: “In the letter, Prof. Osinbajo extends deep commiserations to the families, friends of the victims and the Ozubulu community on the death of their sons and daughters and prayed for the speedy recovery of the injured still in the hospital.
“The acting President condemned in very strong terms the atrocious and dastardly act which has brought sorrow to many innocent families and, has rightly provoked widespread condemnation.’’
He said the acting President further noted that “such barbaric act constitutes an affront to our common humanity, and challenges, but will not overwhelm our collective resolve to rid our communities of all forms of violent crimes and criminality.’’
Prof. Osinbajo said the President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration would remain undeterred and would continually commit to deploying all available resources towards ensuring adequate security of lives and property in Anambra and across the country.
The Acting President noted that he had instructed law enforcement agencies to bring perpetrators of the heinous crime to justice without any delay.
He said he would remain engaged with Gov. Obiano, the Police authorities and other security agencies to ensure that “the lives and property of citizens of Anambra and all Nigerians are well protected anywhere they may live.’’
NAN reports that a similar letter was sent to the governor on Wednesday by President Buhari, who had earlier called the governor on phone, where he commiserated with government and people of Anambra over the horrific Church incident.
This post was gotten from NAN#Feelib